19 from '19 a year in Images

Zoroaster Window
Now that the new year is almost upon us, I have been looking back at some of the images I've created the past twelve months. Creatively speaking, this has been a pretty good year for image making for me. I had one of the most memorable epic trips, river rafting the Grand Canyon for my birthday. I revisited and backpacked to some remote hoodoos in Escalante National Monument. I became heavily involved at the Sedona Photography Symposium.  My involvement with the fine folks in Sedona landed me a fun trip to the Valley of Fire in Nevada. It was also the hottest place I had ever been in April, clocking in at 97 in the shade.   I wrote and self-published a book on photographing the Grand Canyon, which received positive reviews, as well as a successful presentation at the Sedona Camera Club. I created some interesting night images, as well as some intimate ones as well.

The year started off with a winter trip to the Grand Canyon.  There were some areas that I had to shoot to fill some gaps in my book, and I came away with images that really showcased the canyon in the season.

Click on the images to enlarge them!


I was packing up my gear getting ready to head to dinner since the canyon was full of clouds, then this ephemeral window opened up revealing Zoroaster Temple in spotlight. There are a few wondrous events that I've witnessed this year and this remains at the top of the list.


Canyon Snow and Stars
 Later that evening, the storm began to clear, and the moon and stars began to make their appearance. This was one of those evenings that I was glad to be in the right place at the right time.




Saguaro Startrails
 Spring in the desert started off with a bumper crop of wildflowers. I found this field near Horseshoe Reservoir.  I had envisioned saguaros with star trails, but was treated to moonlight and wildflowers in the scene as well.
Firestone Arch
I found this image scurrying around in the rocks at Valley of Fire looking for things to shoot in the early morning shade. Like the famous Windstone Arch from David Muench, the delicate sandstone structures and warm and cool tones made this image stand out for me.


Tower of Silence Startrails
A hike in the back country of Escalante got me close to some hoodoos. I camped overnight with some interesting characters.  Needless to say, I didn't get that much sleep.


Ghost Hoodoos
Newsey Hoodoo


Humphreys Peak Milky Way
Since Milky Way photos are so in vogue lately, I thought I might try some new gear a at a reflecting pond near home. The coyotes were not too happy to share their turf.


Seven Sacred Pools Sunburst
Hanging around Sedona so much, gave me the opportunity to spend time among the red rocks. I made this image after a meeting on a beautiful December afternoon.
Sedona Snag
                 I found this interesting snag on a hike up Cathedral Rock one spring afternooon.


About the Hunt
Evidence of Ancient Puebloans can be found everywhere around Sedona, if you know where to look. I spent most of an afternoon looking for this pictograph panel near Palatki ruins. 
Fall on the Creek
A visit to West Fork this fall was a nice hike.  It did begin to get crazy as word was out about the great colors this year.
The Portals
 My final trip during the Solstice helped re-align my Shakra, and got me this image, a panorama made from five images in this famous cave.


Nankoweap Granary

I made this pano of ancient Anasazi ruins in the bottom of the Grand Canyon,  from three images, now weighing in at 55 megapixels!  I've wanted to visit these ruins for years and was stoked I got to get there.


Patio Falls

I really wasn't familiar with this little slot canyon hike above Deer Creek Falls, but man when I got there my eyes were poppin' and my camera clickin'.  This little area called The Patio had Deer Creek cascading through the slots.


Marble Canyon Reflection
Little Elves Falls


Canyon Rafts at Night
Maple on Ice
Lastly I made this image across the street in the Rio de Flag.  I rescued a leaf from a maple tree a few feet away and placed it on the delicate ice after the first freeze.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Presentation at Sedona Camera Club

Rafting the Grand Canyon of the Colorado